Below you will find resources for learning to improvise, compose, and analyze music using historical concepts. For those interested in in-depth, personalized instruction, I also offer online lessons via Zoom.
Compendium of Voice-Leading Patterns by Derek Remeš
J. C. Kittel’s 24 Chorales with Multiple Basslines, ed. Victor Phan
- Facsimile of Original
- Modern Edition
- Worksheets for Kittel’s basses
- Worksheets with blank bass staves
W. A. Mozart’s 24 Thoroughbass Exercises
Gottfried Kirchhoff’s L’A. B. C. Musical
G. P. Telemann’s Singe-, Spiel- und Generalbass-Übungen | Exercises in Singing, Keyboard-Playing, and Thoroughbass, ed. and trans. Derek Remeš
- Vol. 1: Modern Pedagogical Edition and Translation
- Vol. 2: Editorial Exercises for Beginning Thoroughbass Players (upper voice given)
- Vol. 3: Editorial Exercises for Advanced Thoroughbass Players (no realization)
- Summary of Telemann’s Rules
- Audio files (with and without vocal part)
Johann Kuhnau’s Fundamentals of Composition (1703), ed. and trans. by Derek Remeš
G. F. Handel’s Thoroughbass Exercises, ed. Derek Remeš
- Exercises (portrait)
- Exercises (landscape)
- Solutions (chordal) – Still a work in progress.
- Solutions (concert versions) – These are performed in the video below, which is a live-stream recording of my 2019 faculty concert from Smarano Organ Academy Italy
Fenaroli Partimenti, Book One, ed. Derek Remeš
These realizations are somewhat outdated.
Fenaroli Partimenti, ed. Ewald Demeyere
Albinoni, Violin Sonata Op. 6/6, ed. Derek Remeš
Realization by Heinrich Nicolaus Gerber, corrections by J. S. Bach.
Nadia Boulanger’s Cadences, ed. Derek Remeš
Paul Vidal and Nadia Boulanger’s Given Basses | Basses Données
Hans Peter Weber’s Generalbass-Compendium
Georg Muffat’s Treatise
Mattheson’s 24 Probestücke (Thoroughbass exercises)
Robert Gjerdingen’s Websites
- Partimento Pedagogy at the European American Musical Alliance, 2009-2010
- A Systematic Method of Common-chord Modulation
- Solfège d’Italie
Edition and Translation of J. C. Kellner’s Basics of Thoroughbass (1783)
Edition and translation of the text and forty-eight thoroughbass exercises in Johann Christoph Kellner’s treatise, Basics of Thoroughbass (Grundriss des Generalbasses, Kassel: 1783). Kellner’s father was a pupil of J. S. Bach. A facsimile of the original is available for free here.
- Vol. 1: Commentary and Text
- Vol. 2.1: 48 Exercises in Original Form
- Vol. 2.2: Editorial Realizations for Advanced Students
- Vol. 3.1: 48 Exercises with Editorial Suggestions for Beginners
- Vol. 3.2: Editorial Realizations of Vol. 3.1 for Beginners
Please transfer 20 USD to via PayPal (email@example.com) with the memo: “Kellner” and the email address to which the PDFs should be sent. You will receive the files within 1-2 business days. Note that these files may not be freely shared online.
The following Youtube tutorial describes how to realize each kind of figure.
Edition and Translation of E. A. Förster’s Practical Examples (1818)
Edition and translation of Förster’s thirty-one thoroughbass exercises with the upper voice indicated. A facsimile of the original is available for free here.
- Vol. 1.1 – The Original Manuscript with Förster’s Suggestions
- Vol. 1.2 – The Original Keys with Solutions by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 2.1 – The Original Manuscript with Förster’s Suggestions, but Transposed to Easier Keys by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 2.2 – Easier Keys with Solutions by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 3 – Blank Upper Staff for Advanced Students
Please transfer 20 USD to via PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the memo: “Forster” and the email address to which the PDFs should be sent. You will receive the files within 1-2 business days. Note that these files may not be freely shared online.
Realizing Thoroughbass Chorales in the Circle of J. S. Bach (ed. and trans. Derek Remeš)
- Click here for more information about this two-volume series.
Spiridione a Monte Carmelo’s Treatise, ed. Edoardo Bellotti
Bernardo Pasquini’s Partimenti (ca. 1703–1708)
Henri Challans 380 Basses et Chants Donnés
- Each of the 10 levels has a book of exercises (i.e., 1a) and solutions (1b). Purchase here
517 Fugen by Gronau, ed. Andrzej Szadejko
These two books (bilingual in German and English) are available via email from Andrzej Szadejko for 50 Euros. (email@example.com)