Please see my CV for a complete listing of publications.
Please visit my page at Academia.edu.
“Thoroughbass, Chorale, and Fugue: Teaching the Craft of Composition in J. S. Bach’s Circle.” Ph.D. Dissertation, Hochschule für Musik Freiburg, 2020 (summa cum laude).
Winner of the Dissertation Award from the Society for Music Theory and the Dissertation Award from the Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Hochschule für Musik Freiburg e.V.
The Art of Preluding: Deconstructing and Reconstructing the Preludes in J. S. Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier I & II (The Leupold Foundation, 2021)
- Vol. 1: Major-Key Preludes
- Vol. 2: Minor-Key Preludes
Realizing Thoroughbass Chorales in the Circle of J. S. Bach (Wayne Leupold Editions, 2019).
- Vol. 1: Sources by J. S. Bach, C. P. E. Bach, and D. Kellner, with a Tutor by D. Remeš
- Vol. 2: The Sibley Chorale Book
The introduction is available online for free.
Here is a video that introduces the historical background of the above publication.
Edition and Translation of J. C. Kellner’s Basics of Thoroughbass (1783)
For the price of 20 USD (payable via PayPal) you will receive an edition and translation of the text and forty-eight thoroughbass exercises in Johann Christoph Kellner’s treatise, Basics of Thoroughbass (Grundriss des Generalbasses, Kassel: 1783). A facsimile of the original is available for free here.
- Vol. 1: Commentary and Text
- Vol. 2.1: 48 Exercises in Original Form
- Vol. 2.2: Editorial Realizations for Advanced Students
- Vol. 3.1: 48 Exercises with Editorial Suggestions for Beginners
- Vol. 3.2: Editorial Realizations of Vol. 3.1 for Beginners
Instructions for Purchase:
Please transfer 20 USD to via PayPal (email@example.com) with the memo: “Kellner” and the email address to which the PDFs should be sent. You will receive the files within 1-2 business days. Note that these files may not be freely shared online.
The following Youtube tutorial describes how to realize each kind of figure.
Edition and Translation of E. A. Förster’s Practical Examples (1818)
For the price of 20 USD (payable via PayPal) you will receive an edition and translation of Förster’s thirty-one thoroughbass exercises with the upper voice indicated. To aid in self-study, I have included a volume of my own solutions. Because the original keys are sometimes quite difficult, I also include a second volume with Förster’s exercises transposed easier keys. A facsimile of the original is available for free here.
- Vol. 1.1 – The Original Manuscript with Förster’s Suggestions
- Vol. 1.2 – The Original Keys with Solutions by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 2.1 – The Original Manuscript with Förster’s Suggestions, but Transposed to Easier Keys by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 2.2 – Easier Keys with Solutions by Derek Remeš
- Vol. 3 – Blank Upper Staff for Advanced Students
Instructions for Purchase:
Please transfer 20 USD to via PayPal (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the memo: “Forster” and the email address to which the PDFs should be sent. You will receive the files within 1-2 business days. Note that these files may not be freely shared online.
Bilingual Essay Collection:
Philipp Teriete and Derek Remeš, eds. Das Universalinstrument: »Angewandtes Klavierspiel« aus historischer und zeitgenössischer Perspektive / The Universal Instrument: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on “Applied Piano.” Schriften der Hochschule für Musik Freiburg, Band 9. Hildesheim: Olms, 2020.